Saturday, July 11, 2009

Hear ye hear ye!

I haven't really posted much about my hearing problems here, but now that I have an update I might as well. Back in February I suffered from Sudden Hearing Loss. When it first happened, my hearing was completely gone. After lots of acupuncture, lots of pills, and three steroid injections into my eardrum, I've regained somewhere between 50-75% of my hearing (The amount I can hear varies daily and depending on the setting I'm in -- it is very difficult to hear when there is background noise such as air conditioning, vacuum cleaner, wind, chatter, etc... it is much easier to hear when it is pin silent).

To help cope with the hearing loss, I've gotten a hearing aid. At first, I thought it was great. I really noticed an improvement in my hearing with its help. Unfortunately, it seems as though my hearing changes fairly regularly (a symptom that my hearing loss might possibly be due to an auto-immune problem). Therefore, some days the hearing aid is a great help, while on other days it feels like it does nothing. The last few days it has felt as though my aid isn't helping me at all. Right now, I don't even know why I'm wearing it... I wonder, is my hearing getting worse? Or is my hearing aid not working? I sure hope its the aid not working :-(

No comments:

Post a Comment